S.I.B.S.

Siblings Interacting to Bestow Sanity- a crazy name for people with crazy lives. This group is created by and for people who have a sibling with a behavioral disability. Ask questions, discuss, and share your experiences.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Elementary School Shadowing

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Elementary School Shadowing on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:16 pm

Admin

Admin
I shadowed a special education teacher at my local elementary school and wanted to share what I learned so as to help others with younger siblings.

http://disabilitydiscussion.board-directory.net

2 Quiet Environment on Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:43 pm

Admin

Admin
There are not any kids in the second grade class that I worked with that necessarily have a behavioral disability, but there were many that were struggling. When I was in a larger classroom, with distractions from other students around them and recess right out the window, they were not able to focus at all and needed someone looking over their shoulder. However, when they were in a separate room with only 3 or 4 other kids and no windows, they did their work fine and asked for help when they needed it. I understand the controversy with separating kids, but if they cannot get anything done, then what are they really getting out of being with the rest of the kids? For subjects like math and reading, where concentration and understanding is key, I believe these kids would benefit from being in a separate classroom. I also believe that for other subjects like music or team activities, they should not be excluded. It is difficult to know what is right for everyone, but from my experience, I think that it is important to give some kids personal attention in order for them to succeed, but to also talk to them about how they feel about this attention or separation. I would be interested to talk to some of those students and see what they have to say.

http://disabilitydiscussion.board-directory.net

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum